Wednesday, June 18, 2014

travel tips: staying healthy while traveling

i've been away from the bay for the past 2 weeks, and still have a week before returning.
in this time i've gone all through beautiful colorado, then back to salt lake city to spend
time with family before my parents move away for 3 years! it has been the BEST but it
has reminded me of how important it is to stay healthy and feeling good while away from
home. i'll be gone almost 3 weeks, and when you're off routine it's not always easy to keep
the same habits, eat well, exercise, sleep enough, because you're traveling and seeing new
things! in light of this, here are some tips for staying healthy while traveling...so that you
can enjoy your trip and come home feeling great too! here are my tips for.......................


1. go out in the morning before your day starts. schedules can be full on a trip, and things can change during the day...so by going for a run / walk in the morning, you'll make sure to fit in some exercise, wake yourself up, and get energy for the rest of the day.

2. eat a healthy breakfast! we love eating treats all day and trying things on trips, but we try to have a healthy breakfast that will fuel us for the day. i love to find a juice bar, fruit from a local market, or even just some oatmeal to start the day.

3. use exercise as a form of sightseeing. eating is one of the best parts of travel, but if you are active on your trips then the food is just your fuel as you bike, hike, walk, and run around new places! we love using runs to sightsee in the mornings -- it makes the run fun because you are taking in new sights, and you get a feel for the new place while working out!

4. pack smart -- bring comfortable clothes that you can be active in and walk around in.

5. look up good running / bike routes online or ask a local running store -- they might even have free running groups you can join and feel like a local!

6. bring healthy snacks. i always get hungry when i'm out and about exploring a new place, so i like to have a bag of almonds or some fruit with me so that i can keep going and feel good.

7. sleep is not my biggest priority when traveling because i figure i am only there once and can sleep on the way home, but it is important to prioritize it and make sure you're getting enough rest so that you don't get sick -- that will defeat the entire purpose. give your body some type of structure and try to adjust to jet lag / different time zones as best as you can.

8. hand sanitizer is one of my favorite things...i may be a little too obsessed! but, it is so nice to have a mini bottle with you at all times, no matter where you are. when traveling you are always touring things, touching railings, holding onto subway poles, etc. germs are everywhere! i love to have hand sanitizer so that when we get a treat or have a meal or take a break i can keep my hands clean.

9. be smart about the place you're traveling: make sure you're aware of whether or not the water is drinkable, if you need immunization, and which foods to avoid. if you have a weak stomach, make sure to take things slow and eat simple things at first so that you're not sick the first day in.

10. drink WATER! hyrdating and travel go hand in hand. i have learned this so many times the hard way. flying dehydrates us, walking dehydrates us, we forget to drink water, and we need it. i feel one million times better when i carry a bottle of water around and drink up so that i feel good and can enjoy my trip!
what are your healthy travel tips?
is anyone a fan of things like airborne or other supplements to prevent sickness?
xo

11 comments:

  1. I travel for work for about 12 weeks each year and I swear by Halls Vitamin C hard candies and Zicam at the first sign of a cold! If you are doing a ton of car travel, I like to buy a case of water to keep in the trunk so I'm not always getting sugary drinks at gas stations. Love this post - sleep is always the first thing I skip when I'm traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I can't say enough about carrying hand sanitizer while traveling, knock on wood we've been blessed to always stay healthy on our trips even when traveling in tightly packed modes of transportation (i.e. cesspools) like planes and cruise ships. Even with the lack of sleep that comes with traveling, we always make sure to take our vitamins and use hand sanitizer religiously. We also drink a few glasses of airborne leading up to our trips :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! AND great reminder for my up & coming trip to Greece! :)

    Cait @ www.pieceofcait.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. love all these tips!!

    i seriously don't know how you are going to survive saying bye to your parents! i am thinking of you!!! xxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vacations are a time to rest, rejuvenate and explore a time for travelers to experience the sights, sounds and culture of the town they are visiting without the stresses of everyday life.The travelers typically look forward to the culinary joys of a vacation, they also worry about balancing all that fun with a healthy lifestyle.


    mapdestinations.org

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post! I find that if I can keep to a regular workout schedule then I can indulge in treats on trips and soak up whatever the destination has to offer without feeling guilty or off track when I get home. I've tried using airborne and emergency-c but haven't seen a difference with either one. I'm a believer in lots of fluids and healthy foods to fight traveling sickness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! I always forget my little travel sanitizer need to get better about that! I am sad your parents are going but on the bright side, you get to visit them in an AMAZING place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love reading and following your post as I find them extremely informative and interesting. This post is equally informative as well as interesting . Thank you for information you been putting on making your site such an interesting. Travel Tips

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best way to stay healthy in travel is taking healthy food and this is discussed in this article. It is very important matter to take healthy food in travel. Thanks for this informative post.
    Reishi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I rememver the time when I was on the hills and had some gastric problem because of which i had my all meal out of my belly and had a weakness as well. I remember that i practised some of the tips, you gave to us and met a chiropractor who did some hwlp and was able to continue my journy without any further problem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no doubt that you're more traveled than myself! Almost all of my traveling thus far has been Western. The feeling of being in a totally foreign place has hardly hit me yet, so I admire that in your experience.
    Theme Parks Tips

    ReplyDelete

leave us some love! ♥♥