Tuesday, June 10, 2014

what matters.

does it matter?

being a 24-year-old with a break in between jobs = lots of time and cause to think.
life has such phases where things are so busy that we're just keeping our head above water, and then there are other times when things calm down and there's more time to reflect and think. i'm grateful for the cycles in life and for time to step back and evaluate where i am, as cliché as it sounds. i feel like the last two years had such purpose that i was never stopping to think about what i was doing...i was just doing it. waking up at 5:45 became second nature (and still is... :/ ) and working with my students consumed me all day. grad school filled up my nights, and time with my husband kept me balanced and happy. we used every spare second to see new things and travel, and time went so fast. i feel like i was doing good things but not taking enough time to think about them, etc. now with TFA over, grad school complete, a move into a new apartment, and my parents leaving, i've had changes and a few weeks to just THINK and be with myself and not have 10 million things going on in my mind. it helps that this week i've been driving and biking across colorado with my parents, brother and aunt for ride the rockies, and those stunning green hills and snow-capped mountains have put me in a trance where i've been able to think so clearly. no cell phone service, no routine, no distractions. 

thanks to reading thrive by arianna huffington (so recommended!!!) and some conversations with a great friend, i've been forced to think about what matters. it's incredible how many of the things that consume us do not matter in the big scheme of things. we can't always have that perspective, and small things are part of our daily lives, but there is such a power in being able to step back and widen the lens often, reminding ourselves to keep the important things at the top of our priority lists. the thing i've had on my mind is: i want to do something that matters. not to make me important, but to make me feel like i'm contributing to this world and the people around me. to help me keep perspective and stay balanced and in tune with myself. i know it sounds cheesy! but it's such a sincere desire almost all of us have. i just finished doing something that i really do feel mattered, so it has become even more important in my mind---what will i do next? how do i continue to give back and do things that matter? while reading this book and talking to my friend, i've been challenged to think, what matters? what doesn't? as i've been in the interview process for jobs out here in san francisco i've had in my mind: focus on what matters. don't take anything because of the money, take it because you love it and WANT to do it. take it because it helps others or makes the world around me better. simple right? but not easy! we are so focused on being smart and taking the logical path and climbing the ladder and making more money and having career success but it means nothing if you're not happy. it's been so refreshing // and a little bit scary to have this in mind as i approach final interviews for very different jobs, and i try to remind myself to focus on the important things and be thoughtful about what i want to give to my next job, not what i want to get out of it.

the same goes for other things in my life...my friendships, my hobbies, even this blog! as it's grown a little bit and i've had more and more fun with it, i've stopped to think --- does this blog matter? is it something that adds good things to the world? it seems so dumb when you think of the big picture! but if it doesn't matter, why do i love doing it so much? why is it such an outlet for me, and why do i love reading other blogs? why do i love looking back on it and why do i love sharing favorite places and discoveries? i've come to decide that the basis of writing this blog is valuable for me because it is to share beauty and appreciation and love for the world around me. i love this life and taking time to write things down and document it helps me express why i love it. it helps me slow down in this crazy world and appreciate the small things, the things i love. sending people to amazing food or sights makes me happy because i know they are enjoying life too. i hope it doesn't come across as attention-seeking, but rather as an appreciative, inspiring celebration of life. maybe it doesn't come across that way to some people, and that is A-okay. all i care about is how it is to me, and why i'm doing it. if i was doing it for attention, i think i would have stopped by now-- because that isn't fulfilling. but i truly LOVE every post i do on this blog because it represents how much i love life and want to live every second of it. it gives me a space to express that and document it. that's also why i love to read other blogs because they inspire me and make me happy. they remind me that there are so many good people, amazing experiences, good recipes, :) and happy thoughts out there. they help me relate and instead of comparing, i come away inspired to be better or to see a different point of view.

so as i navigate the next chapter of my life, i hope i focus on things that matter. i hope i don't sweat the small stuff. i hope i represent good and important things on this blog and in my everyday life. i hope i live a life i'm proud of and have lots of fun on the way!

sorry for the rambling....but hey, just an example of why i love having this space to reflect and look back on. :)


xo 
love,
emi

28 comments:

  1. Excellent reflection. TFA does matter and I have absolutely no doubt that what you do next will matter, too! For the record, I absolutely love your blog. It makes me smile almost every day and I'm sure it does the same for many, many others. This blog does matter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're so sweet and i always LOVE your comments!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for this post - I need to read Thrive - I have such an adoration for Arianna Huffington and all that she's done. I love reading your blog for all the wonderful adventures you go on as well as all the good you put out into the world!! Keep it up because I'd be sad if I didn't have your beautiful photos to add inspiration to my daily life!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha you're my favorite. please read thrive and let me know how you like it!! XOXO

      Delete
  3. This is so beautifully written. Thrive is definitely now on my summer reading list. Thank you for being a blog that I continually love to visit and read & for inspiring me :)
    Katelyn // Relatively Offbeat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you will love thrive -- so perspective changing! thank YOU for being a blog i love too!

      Delete
  4. Hello Emi, I have lived in San Francisco for 36 years and I love reading your blog to find new places to go that I didn't know about. You have done so much and given so much to your life and others. Please keep your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is so sweet and means more than you know! thanks for the kind words and cheers to the great city we live in!

      Delete
  5. This so random and so well written. Just honest and true. Your blog does matter because you are able to share and touch others. And it makes you a better person too because you are able to reflect and be yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiiii! Bahhh I just finished "Thrive" last week and LOVED it too - seriously so inspiring and really makes you think. Arianna Huffington came to speak at Google (Chase was there too!) and just has the best demeanor and radiates peace/positivity. Lots to learn from her. Hope you have a great time with your family in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. okay not surprised that we read it at the exact same time and both LOVED it. chase loved hearing her speak and gave me the book from that! she is brilliant and that book is so full of obvious truths that we don't take time to think of enough. love it and see you soon! Xo

      Delete
  7. This is so great. We have been talking about this alot. I feel like this is so apparent and huge especially in your 20's when your life is changing so much and those decisions really affect your future. We had to make a big decision (as you probably know!) based on that and it has been hard but also has really been an eye opener. Keep up the blog! I love it and I think it definitely shows your love of life, not showing off. It is hard when people view blogs that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent reflection! I have been struggling with this exact thing over the last few years as we navigated some pretty significant changes. I will have to say my blog has suffered from it as it didn't always make the list of what mattered in the moment, but I agree with you in sharing the beauty of the world and expressing gratitude for the experiences and the people. you are AMAZING! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm glad you understand and have thought these same things! you're the best, thanks for this comment!

      Delete
  9. Emi,
    I am so grateful for your blog because it lifts and inspires me to see the extra ordinary in every day life. I think that your thoughts and insights have helped me to see additional light and hope in small moments I would have otherwise missed. Your zest for joy has made me braver in seeking joy in my own life.

    I know that your contribution and involvement in the world will always be in a manner that really matters and is meaningful. It is just who you are.

    Keep being you and all my best in the next chapter.

    It is going to be great. No Doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. okay this is the sweetest comment in the world and means MORE than you know! i'm sad it's anonymous but love you for writing this! thank you! xo

      Delete
  10. Emi,

    I love reading your blog every day. Your posts are so uplifting, your recipes are amazing, and you help me see the beauty in the world around me. Life is so good. Thanks for always being such a great friend to me. I miss being in ChiO together! You are the best. Good luck with everything!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. allie i love you so much and miss you more!! let's meet up next time i'm in slc!

      Delete
  11. I've been off-line for a little bit and I've missed a bunch over here. First,congrats on the new apartment and finishing TFA! And, yes, keep blogging! You're one of the most prolific and positive bloggers out there - keep it up! :-)

    www.animpulsetosoar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a wonderful post! :) Being able to reflect and look back is awesome. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. one of your best post posts. you need to write more often!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love this so much! i feel like I've been having that same battle with myself! good luck finding your next adventure!! xxx.

    http://brynnduerden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just want you to know that I love reading your blogs. I think we all struggle with this question of "what matters" on a daily basis and it can be different for everyone. I love how you share the beauty of your finds and it inspires me to find the creativity in live, the positive parts of people and even take the mistakes or bad days and turn them around. This is a perfect reflection and may help me get my creative juices up and running again on my blog. It's been crickets in my neck of the woods ;) I also think our blogs provide an excellent look at how we have grown!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this post and love reading your blog. Blogs are like the modern diary its a lovely place to collect our thoughts, share some wonderful pictures, and inspire others :) Keep on keeping on :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love reading your blog! I was so glad to read a post that resonates so profoundly with me. I was having a bad day, and felt like I should come to your blog. I'm so glad I did. Not only did your post come across as genuine and considerate, but you also recommend a book that I will be sure to read now. Keep up the great work. You are more inspiring than you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just seeing this now, and love it. thanks for such a sweet comment..hope you're having a great week! xo

      Delete

leave us some love! ♥♥